Tips for identifying leadership style strengths and weaknesses
Good leadership has never been more important than in today’s complex work world. It’s essential for managers to develop effective leadership skills – they are crucial to the success of any organization.
The ‘Campbell Leadership Descriptor’ helps leaders think about characteristics they need for successful leadership, recognize their strengths, and identify areas for improvement. It is specifically for use in situations where a comprehensive analysis of leadership characteristics is useful. It can help individuals identify their strengths and weaknesses in nine important leadership attributes and personal characteristics:
- Vision - Establishing the general tone and direction of the organization.
- Management - Setting specific goals and focus organizational resources to achieve them.
- Empowerment - Develop direct reports who are committed to the organization’s goals.
- Diplomacy - Forging coalitions with important internal and external stakeholders and other decision makers.
- Feedback - Listening to clients, customers, and employees and share the resulting information in an efficient manner.
- Entrepreneurialism - Finding future opportunities through mechanisms such as new projects, programs, or policies.
- Personal Style - Setting an overall organizational tone of competence, optimism, integrity, and inspiration – leading by example.
- Personal Energy - Living a disciplined lifestyle that provides the necessary energy and durability to handle the demands of leadership.
- Multicultural Awareness - Being experienced and comfortable working with a diverse organization.
The ‘Campbell Leadership Descriptor’ workbook's self-scored assessment allows individuals to create their own profile on the spot, and it shows them how their self-profile compares with other leaders. It also includes questions to help them evaluate the implications of their strengths and weaknesses and how to use that information to develop their own action plan for improvement.
This product shows how to improve your leadership skills with helpful tips. Some include: attend professional and personal development courses to learn more about communication; take courses to become more creative; look for opportunities to learn something entirely new – and difficult; find and develop a relationship with a mentor; interview successful leaders and ask about their experiences; and observe the leaders in your environment and note what they do that works.
HRDQ partnered with the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL®) for this new online version. The ‘Campbell Leadership Descriptor’ is perfect for leadership development seminars, classroom discussions, and one-on-one coaching. Learn more about how it can help here.