Better Critical Thinking Leads to Success
All employees in a workplace should have excellent critical thinking skills. The challenges of every workday require staff who can tackle issues with a clear and level head. The better the critical thinking skills, the more likely the individual is to have success in their career. But developing these skills can be difficult. There are a few easy ways to improve them.
All effective critical thinkers have a few specific traits. These characteristics allow the person to successfully navigate any workplace situation. They are:
There are three fundamental skills for engaging in effective critical thinking: the ability to reason, the ability to predict consequences, and the ability to evaluate the merit of potential conclusions or solutions. Using these three fundamentals will allow you to become a better critical thinker.
Steps to Perform Better Critical Thinking
- Think openmindedly. Make sure you approach the issue or problem with an open mind. If you go in to the situation with preconceived opinions, you are less likely to arrive at the best conclusion.
- Raise vital questions and problems. Make sure you ask plenty of clear questions so you acquire as much knowledge as possible about the issue. This will give you the most information to make determinations from.
- Gather and assess relevant information. Continue your research and gather as much information as possible. Asses it all with your already open mind.
- Come to well-reasoned conclusions and solutions. Once you have all the information possible, you will likely assess and come to a well-reasoned conclusion. You can then offer solutions based on the conclusion.
- Figure out solutions to complex problems. This more narrow step is going further into figuring out more in-depth solutions needed for more complex issues. Repeat steps one through four again if needed.
Benefits of Critical Thinking
Critical thinking has many benefits. It can allow you to communicate more effectively with your manager and team members, better develop new policies and procedures, and improve the value of written reports. People with good critical thinking skills are able to decide whom to hire or promote, choose new markets, improve customer service strategies, and handle a crisis. Further, they can better predict the consequences of new actions or events.
Learn more about how to develop critical thinking skills with HRDQ’s ‘Critical Thinking Fundamentals.’ This tool will help participants arrive at more stable, effective solutions and decisions through observing how to build the skills that are the foundation of the critical thinking process and learning how to apply a consistent thought process to any situation that requires a resolution or action. Click here: https://info.hrdq.com/info-kit-critical-thinking-fundamentals-workshop-sign-up.